Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wake keeping and Funeral

It was a bee hive of activities in my father-in-law's country home (cottage to some of you who have lived in North America for too long) with arrangements in full swing for the wake keeping which was to hold that night of Friday April 3.
It was quite an experience. My father-in-law died an ECK member and faithful . The 'eckists' (I hope that's safe to say) were there in their numbers to honour one of their own; and honour him they did. It was an all night wake keeping complete with sing-songs, HU chants, testimonies, dances both modern and traditional. I had attended an ECK wedding before (that of my friend and brother-in-law Onoch to his lovely Kezzy) and now I was witnessing an ECK wakekeeping with an ECK funeral soon to follow the next day.
As we got tired, we stole away to go get some shut eye and like Tonnie had told me, at funerals, people sleep wherever they find space. So I secured a sofa to myself and old ranger slept as the main character did in the movie "Our man Flint" but this time with my shoes on as well. It was fun.
Early on the D-day, I had a shower,brushed my teeth, changed my pants and shirt for a traditional attire and filed out to the field where the funeral worship was to take place. In attendance were the academia, retired officers and gentlemen, in-laws from Onitsha (yes my people, complete with a dance troupe accompanied by my parents and kinsmen), Okpila, Mbaise, Uzoakoli, Owerri etc. Distinguished Lords from Corsica, Kingmaker, SONA, Okwudili Enendu and many others.
Prof as I called him when he was with us, was going home in style. He had earned it. He deserved it. I will still keep my promise of dedicating a full day of this blog to him in honour and recognition of his academic prowess. I will .
At this point though, I must thank all who have paid tributes to this erudite scholar whose death is a great loss to Nigeria. For all those who sent in tributes and whose tributes could not be captured in the publication that was circulated on April 4, 2009, I say you have not gone unnoticed. Mine met with the same fate too. If you want to refresh your mind on the many tributes, go to "Celebrating the Life of Professor Adiele Afigbo" on the Facebook web site. It may not be in my place to say, but please accept my gratitude.
I must now go get some rest as I am still travelling in Nigeria and as a matter of fact, have just arrived Lagos aboard an Aero airplane from Enugu.
Thanks for keeping a date with the Diary of a Loving Daddy. Expect more.

No comments:

Post a Comment