Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cold Treatment and Confusion

With the funeral over, I stayed back at my in-law's for one additional day to provide some support for my spouse. I think I need to offer some background info at this point. Since my father-in-law passed on to eternal glory on March 9, I was yet to see Siya (that's my pet name for my wife) shed a tear as one would expect of someone who's lost a parent. I know she's grieving internally but some outpouring of emotions is also healthy. I was therefore ( and I still am) concerned that all the pent up grief could explode anytime and that could be a lethal situation. So I stayed back at my in-law's such that if Siya broke down, I would be within easy reach to lend a hand.
Meanwhile, she was showing signs of mood swings. One minute she would avoid eye contact with me and the next she would point me in the direction of a room in the event that I needed to 'turn in'. It breaks my heart to see her this way. I feel even worse and incapacitated not knowing how to impact her heart and mind at this time. There is also a part of me that is wondering whether she is mad at me or if all of this is her reaction to the loss of her dad.
Out of frustration, I called Sampi, Danju and Papa in the hope that hearing their voices would contribute to a Positive Mental Attitude which I was desparately looking for at that point. I just could not wait for the day to end and end it did eventually. Phew...
The next day - Palm Sunday began rather slowly. You had the odd trickle of visitors who missed the funeral of the day before but who wanted to register their condolences nonetheless. Some it would seem out of political correctness and others displaying a more sincere mien. The hours went so slowly and I took to praying silently to occupy my mind and also beg for God's forgiveness for missing Mass on Palm Sunday.
About 3pm, I set out to catch a cab for Onitsha so I could go make the rounds and thank my kinsmen for honouring me with their attendance at my father-in-law's funeral.
Siya meanwhile was on her way to go reconcile accounts with the local equivalent of the beer store and LCBO combined for the drinks used during the funeral. I think it was pure providence because I got to the Okigwe park and there was not a single cab in sight for me to rent.
I must thank Hyacinth the driver who had been seconded albeit temporarily by 'Igwe Nwanyi' to assist Siya with her runs during the whole period of the funeral. He it was who eventually took me on the two hour long journey back to Onitsha. Please do not ask me about the state of the roads. We got to Onitsha safely and poor Hyacinth had to make the journey back to Ihube where Siya was.
Siya joined me in Onitsha at my parent's home the next day. On Tuesday we made a 'pit stop' to His Majesty the Obi of Onitsha to thank him for his continuing royal support and that of Igwe Nwanyi before heading to Enugu to board the Aero flight that took us to Lagos.
Keep a date with the Diary and more will follow as we take you through our journey to 'Eden'.

Caveat: You are reading this now because it was written when I was on the road with limited access to the internet and so is being published late.

No comments:

Post a Comment