Tuesday, April 7, 2009

From Toronto to Ihube

So having gone through Customs and Immigration, I boarded the flight out of Pearson International. As if rewarding me for taking the leap of faith in leaving my children on their own, I got bumped up into the Executive Business Class on the first leg of the trip. This was without my asking for it and also without a dent on my frequent flyer points. Not bad at all. Did I speak too soon? I had just settled in nicely into my seat and was about getting my welcome glass of juice, when the guy sitting next to me knocked the glass over and unto my laps. Boy....
since my seat belt was already strapped on, I could not move fast enough to escape the 'shower' so I got soaked. Now imagine for a moment how I would have looked with orange juice dripping down my pants and both the culprit and the flight attendants offering their apologies. Eventually I got wiped down sort of and ended up smelling like orange juice until I arrived Nigeria after yes about 23 hours!
I slept in my Lekki apartment that night and very early on April 2, got a cab, did some banking transactions (not with the 'happy bank' that is still denying me access to my chequing account in the name of sorting out some minor issues) and raced to catch a flight to Enugu where I stayed overnight and worked the phone reminding my friends, associates, acquaintances et al about not allowing me "walk alone" during my father-in-law's funeral.
On April 3, I continued by road this time to Onitsha to see my folks and be reassured that the long list of items required of me towards the funeral had all been bought and delivered to my in-laws. While in Onitsha, I saw my youngest brother Uche for the first time since January this year following his return from from India where he had gone for a surgery on the lower part of his spine. This was a surgery that he was told that had he not had it when he did, he would have been paralyzed in his left leg by now. I saw the scars of the stitches and felt the brace he currently wears to hold up his spine. Now you ask me about counting our blessings. My very good friend (he qualifies to be called my brother in the Diaspora) Tonnie whom I call 'Kingmaker' came calling from Asaba to teach me a thing or two about handling extended in-laws during a funeral. Like he humorously added, he is experienced, as he has lost both his mum and dad prior. God bless this guy.
I also worked the phones some more before going on a long winding journey with the driver of a rented cab who time proved did not know the way to my in-laws' home in Ihube.
We did arrive at last and safely too. All this while I was dealing with some trepidation about how I would be received in the light of my posting of March 16, 2009. Guess what, the first person I saw when I got down from the cab was my spouse. Is this a coincidence or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment