Friday, March 6, 2009

Family Night

Today began with a long distance call from my golf mentor in Nigeria – Joe. It was very kind of him to call to know how I was getting along. If you are wondering, I am originally from Nigeria but have been living with my family in Canada for about a decade and counting. Trying to raise a family in two cultures (Nigerian and Canadian) remains a challenge which someday we shall talk about.
Eighteen months ago, I ‘returned to Eden’ to do a tour of duty and in the process became friends with some of the nicest fellows you can find, Joe is one of them. We talked about family, Ikoyi club and of course business. He lamented that the US greenback was exchanging for Naira 177 at the parallel market. Unbelievable!! Less than three months ago it had exchanged for Naira 118 ( a 50% slide in just three months; even in these uncertain times is a bitter pill to swallow). Nigeria we hail thee.
Papa (our baby of the house) and second son, was the first guy off the starting blocks this morning.
Soon it was 8.00 am and time to pray before the kids all went out of the door. Spring seemed to have sprung what with 7degrees and according to the weather man, could hit 15 degrees at some point today. I can understand the rush to get outside. Having been hibernating with layers of clothing since December, warm weather is a welcome development. Remember here is Canada and our winter is legendary.
At 10.00am the phone rang and it was the realtor’s office telling me a viewing was being proposed for 11.00am to 12 noon. You know what means right? Time to leave the house so another prospective buyer could visit. Often times I wonder how many other properties these buyers are evaluating and how ours stacks up.
So to the Iroquois Ridge library I went and after reading a bit, I hit the gym.My work out today consisted of some aerobic time on the treadmill and anaerobic time concentarting on my biceps, triceps and shoulders. With that done, I headed back home to arrange some ‘potluck’ lunch for the kids. Papa and Sampi came in shortly after. Danju’s school (an academically gifted program) is some distance away in Milton so he usually gets in a little later.
With lunch over, Papa went to his school’s yard to shoot some hoops with Jack his buddy; while Sampi had to go help Kay with decorating for her 17th birthday party.
My daughter is fast becoming a lady. I still have vivid recollection of when God blessed us with her in 1992. I had just moved to Lagos to take up a job while my mum came over to stay with my Siya in Jos. I remember getting that call that changes your life forever- “…congratulations you are now a daddy….”.
To God be the glory that I did not crash my new company car that evening. I was still staying at a hotel being new on the job and I dashed off from Apapa in the Daewoo Racer ( not sure if that brand and model of car is till on the market) to celebrate my new status with Maurice ( then a 2nd Lieutenant and now a Navy Captain) in Ikoyi where he was staying with his aunt’s family.
Fast forward seventeen years and here we are. It’s been an experience that I wish and pray every male would have- fatherhood. Kids!!! They can drive you up the wall sometimes, adorable and loving at other times and something in-between especially during their teenage years when the hormones start raging and they try to test your will and push the envelope with you. All in all, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Thank God for children.
It’s 8.13pm: Sampi and I have just returned from doing our grocery shopping for the week. Tonight is “Family Night” so we should be converging in the family room soon to shoot breeze and watch a movie chosen by the kids. Tonight, we’d be having pizza, pop corn and home made juice in tow. Our family nights which come up on alternate Fridays are looked forward to with relish by us all and is a good vehicle for bonding. I would suggest this to families reading this blog.
So excuse me before I run guilty of delaying family night. See you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment