Monday, March 16, 2009

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

It's good to be with you again after a couple of days of hiatus caused by circumstances that are best left for another day.
It's March break and my boys and I went shopping today - using up some gift cards they got from friends and family during Christmas. By shopping, we are doing our bit towards re-inflating a global economy that is in dire straits. A little bit of confidence in the economy should help at this time. There has been so much of negative stories in the press especially in North America and Europe that people are literally hiding the little cash they still have under their mattresses. Which is why some cheerful news is welcome.
Talking of cheerful news, Sampi called from Rome today! I had not heard my daughter's voice since Wednesday last week when I dropped her off at Pearson International for her school trip to Italy. I was excited to hear from daddy's baby girl and got a bit teary eyed when she said she was enjoying the experience but misses home so much. She would be back on Friday and I'd be waiting at the airport to receive my angel. Danju and Papa tried to act all grown up when Sampi called, a departure from the solemn disposition they exhibited the first night she was away. To think of it, this is the first time (if my memory serves me well), Sampi has been away from her brothers for more than one night. C'est la vie! The children are all growing up and soon each will go in pursuit of his or her destiny and what lies in the future. God help me.

I am not sure which is more difficult and tricky - consoling a spouse who's had a miscarriage or dealing with the mood swings of a spouse who's mourning the sudden loss of a parent? I know from experience however that none is fun. Hardly anything you do at such a time is right.If you appear happy for any reason and for any length of time, you could be seen as not showing enough empathy. If you are sober and reflective, you are accused of getting her more depressed instead of trying to cheer her up. A typical case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Indeed a heavy burden to bear, a huge load to carry.
I said it was March break and so catering to the demands of the boys becomes an escape from the quagmire. A way to get away from being between the rock and the hard place.
It's dinner time so you would have to excuse me, Danju and Papa are already waiting.
Catch you on the rebound. See you later.

2 comments:

  1. wow!!! i'm impressed! your style...the gists...now i can follow events at home. Sampi! i remember this trip! she had mentioned it back then in 2007 when the boys and i visited.
    Danju! grown up! turns 14 this year! OMG! amazing how the kids grow! only tells one that old age's fast catching up!
    old Papa! can imagine him now!
    we thank God for them all.
    all these gists make me wish my boys were there!!! i can imagine how much fun they'd have had!!! and you know i LOOOOVE Canada!!!anyways...
    we'd eagerly await your next post!
    hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tks a lot for visiting my blog. As for your boyz, keep the faith and the good Lord always surprises us.
    Good luck with your exams.

    ReplyDelete