Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hope Is Alive

Growing up I was taught never to quit. I was taught that even when the seas are rough, if you stayed focused and kept faith with your goal, that treasure would be found. I have tried to live with this in mind whenever I run into challenges as I have a couple of times on this journey called life. I have come to accept the scars of life are the stripes of having lived. Don’t get me wrong, I am not glorifying mishaps or hard ship but life is a journey not a destination, it is a marathon not a sprint or dash. You win some and you lose some. It’s not about falling but getting up each and every time you fall and trudging on until the good Lord calls your number. It therefore behoves on us to keep hope alive.
Last night was Family Night for us, our fortnightly ‘ritual’ where we sit in the family room and shoot breeze until we all hit the sack. For yesterday, the honour of the ‘last person standing’ was Danju’s.
Sampi should be excused after working for five hours at MacDonald’s where she’s being exposed to the reality check of life. Working not because she has to, but because she wants to. She’s been loving it so far and now with her high school grad behind her and university not starting until September, it helps put some loose change in her purse and keeps her away from trouble and mischief.
Danju and I had gone to our recreational centre – Servus Place; I, to the gym as always while Danju went shooting hoops on the court with some pals of his. Papa elected to stay home and catch up with his friends online having technically finished grade 7 that day.
Thereafter, Danju and I went over and got some Pizza, chicken wings, carrots and veggie dip (yes we have to get people eating healthy somewhat) and on the way back picked up Sampi from her job. When we got home, Papa had laid the drinks, chips and for the movie of the night it was “Wedding Crashers”.
We woke up this morning and witnessed the last hope for Africa in the current soccer world cup contest, the ‘Black Stars’ of Ghana ease past the US team for a spot in the round of eight. Hope is alive afterall. I must add that this is only the second time Ghana is competing at the senior level in the soccer world cup. In their debut, they got to the round of 16 again beating the US team on the way, talk of lightening striking twice.
So while I feel for the US team who played with so much passion and commitment, in my inner most heart, I am glad Ghana is still in the race and carrying the flag for Africa. Hope is Alive…!

No comments:

Post a Comment