Saturday, June 19, 2010

Everyday is a Gift

We are often told and reminded in holy books, by sages, in random talks and writings and by several other sources, that like life, everyday is a gift from the most high Lord. On June 12 at the Shaw Conference centre in downtown Edmonton in Canada, my daughter and first child Sampi along with 200+ other excited teenagers had her high school graduation ceremony in a very colourful and very formal event. Almost daily since that momentuous day, I have wondered what kind of gift Sampi would be to the world. I have prayed and continue to pray that she turns out as the heavenly Father would be pleased she did.
Wow I got so carried away that I almost forgot to apologize and explain my absence and failure to update this Diary since late last year. With Facebook, Twitter and Skype added to the time consuming responsibility of quality fatherhood, the Diary took a hit. I found myself promising and failing many times over to get back here and update you my readers. Today therefore is a gift that I promised to share.
So much has happened since the last time I was here. Danju's basketball tournaments; Papa's Football team, the Colts had played the Edmonton Chargers in the Zonal finals. The Chargers went on to win the Provincial trophy beating the champions of Calgary. The track meets among junior high schools, Danju's graduation from junior high, Sampi's bikeathon at Bellerose Composite High-a highly successful fundraiser over a 3day period, my two trips to motherland to keep my cherished networks alive and to explore opportunities for contributing to the edification of the Nigerian renaissance etc. And now Sampi's grad. Phew! It has been as exciting and interesting as it has been challenging at times, depressing at other times and in all cases, thought provoking. While I have hardly made any new friends in St. Albert I thank God for the friends I have made both online and during my trips to Nigeria in recent times. I was introduced to one such acquaintance in 2008 during what I have termed my short tour of near voluntary duty in motherland. He has since become a friend and no longer just an aquaintance. You are a gift Doctor Joe of 'j-wood' in VGC for graciously allowing me free access to and accomodation in your home during my visits to motherland in December last year and May this year respectively. There are a couple of other 'gifts' that I am grateful for who due to space constraints cannot me individually mentioned here. I thank them for being my chauffer, cook and sounding board at different times, roles played without a single complaint. What gift would life be without sincere friends. Everyday is indeed a gift and as I count my gifts and my blessings I am the more humbled by how undeserving I may be for a lot of them. In closing tonight, I thank you Lord for all the gifts and blessings bestowed on me and my family and my wish is that everyone receives as I have and continue to receive. Good night people, the Diary is here again. Read, enjoy and comment as the spirit moves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment