Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dad's Birthday

There are feelings that words seem incapable of capturing, feelings of love, pangs of pain, sense of grief, intense joy etc. I experienced such a feeling of deep and sincere love listening to the smile in my dad's voice when I called this morning to wish him a happy birthday. Dad turns 72 today!
Being so geographically far away (I'm in Canada - the true North, at this very moment while my parents are back in Nigeria, my dear homeland), and thanks to technology I had sent him a text message at exactly 6am local time in Nigeria in an effort at being the first to wish him a happy birthday. In my dad's family (I have to make that distinction since I'm raising a family of my own), it is gradually becoming a cheery contest to know who's the first to call on a birthday whenever any one of us has a birthday. So today I guess I was in a pole position with my text message. I then secured my 'position' with a phone call a couple of minutes ago and I could feel the 'old boy' smiling on the phone. Danju and Papa who were set to catch their bus to school also got in on the conversation.Three generations of my family!! I keep counting my blessings.

1 comment:

  1. you sure beat us all to it! to think that it was on mind the larger part of yesterday only for me to remember on my way to work, at about 6.22am! well, i blame that on the fact that i practically jumped up from bed at 4.48am (48 minutes behind my daily schedule!) and faced my daily morning chores headaon without a moment even to say 'hello' to myself and the rushed sign of the cross i place on myself before my prayer session with the boys!
    anyway, we all have have a lot, so very much, to be thankful to God for! I say we, our family, was specially put together by God!!!!

    ReplyDelete