Monday, July 27, 2009

IT'S A BOY!!

Before you start wondering what's up with me, the above caption was exactly the message posted on the door of my office in Colgate Palmolive Africa -Middle East Division some twelve years ago.
My young family at that time (Siya, Sampi and Danju) was staying in Dallas and old ranger was in Nigeria working hard to bring home the ham. Talk of challenges we sometimes go through in trying to provide for our families.
So as I walked through the front office that eventful morning in Lagos, I was greeted with a lot more smiles than was the usual - a sign that something great was ahead of me. The lady in charge of the front office and the mail delivery personnel (cell phones were a status symbol at that time in Nigeria and a lot of official communication was delivered by hand by these delivery personnel, God bless their kind hearts) did well to hold back from breaking the news to me.

I matched briskly to my door and there it was posted in black ink on a white sheet of paper " It's a boy!". The pleasant surprise mixed with some other emotions that words can hardly describe enveloped me and when I regained my composure, Jacqueline (Atul's PA at that time) confirmed getting the call from my sister Flo.
Fast forward 12 years and that baby whom God blessed us with is now a young man with so much potential. That young man is Papa, the youngest of my three angels about whom a lot has been written in earlier notes in the Diary of a Loving Daddy.
We are staying awake to usher in July 28 with a special family prayer of thanksgiving for our many blessings.
For all you who will get to read today's blog, we request that you say a prayer for Papa and all other kids the world over that they grow up in the light of God to be good citizens of their respective communities.
Happy Birthday Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment