Thursday, July 30, 2009

BIG Things Can Come In Most Unexpected and Often Small Packages

There are days you feel so out of sorts that all you want to do is lie in bed and try to clear the 'cobwebs' in your head and on your mind. Today was shaping to be like one such day with a down in the dumps feeling until my peace was stirred by a long distance call from a client who needed my intervention with his situation. I dragged my frame out of bed and turned my laptop out of it's sleeper mode and my inbox had its fair dose of unwanted emails which I promptly deleted.
There was a forwarded email from one of my sisters back home that I am thankful I saw because it is turning out to be one of the most profound pieces I have read in a while and I do read quite a lot - from the humdrum to the inspiring, from the ordinary to the magnificent, I read all that I can find.
It was a story by Mac Anderson, Founder -Simple Truths about a young man who was born with physical limitations of sight and mobility but who transcended those limitations and had become a musical virtuoso.
It wasn't just that he overcame his difference of ability but his attitude was simple yet infectious. In his moment of eternal adversity, the young man did not dissipate energy bemoaning his fate but elected instead to see the glass as half full instead of half empty and counted his blessings.
Part of the moral lesson from this story is that "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain!"
In a very capitalist world, this becomes even more topical. In the rush of everyday life, we often fail to stop and smell the roses. If we are not complaining about how cold it gets in the winter (as if we did not know it was going to get cold), we are complaining about how hot and humid the summer feels. We remark that the traffic was heavy instead of being grateful that we have vehicles and that we got home safely.
It was Sarah Breathnach who is reported as saying that "when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present....we experience heaven on earth."
Life is a journey not a destination and at whatever spot of that journey you are on, there are tons of people who would give anything to be in your place.
So as I step out to dance in the rain, I am grateful in the realization that life changing insights can come from the most unexpected of places and in this case, an innocuous email from my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment