Friday, May 8, 2009

All it takes is a Day

Indeed a day can make a world of difference. Ever tried talking with someone who missed a very important deadline (such as closing the deal on a house purchase, or the purchase of a long-haul flight ticket that was on a sale, or someone’s wedding etc) by just one day. It could be just a day to you but if you are involved (apologies to Ikemba Nnewi of “Because I’m Involved fame”) it could be mean the world.
So Monday and Tuesday my baby boy Papa was as shadow of his usually ebullient self and could not go to school. To get him to eat was like pushing water uphill. By this time, Danju was feeling much better. My poor Sampi had to take some hours off her school time to stay home with Papa while I kept a business appointment at mid day on Monday. Talk of team work and I say give me better examples.
As suddenly as it came, it disappeared. I mean what the medics had said was Papa’s flu (not the swine one). So early on Wednesday, my little guy (a description he would rather I did not use) got up and got dressed for school. Wow! The sun shines after all. I would have preferred breaking him back into the scheme of things gradually but here he was ready to roll. So after making sure he had his multivitamin, vit-C, his Buckley’s (that awful tasting but efficacious cough concoction) and of course something to eat, I let him roll.
Meanwhile I made sure my cell phone was by me at all times just in the event that he got to school and had a relapse (is that word correct in this context?). Three hours after, no phone call. Four, five, six hours later still no phone call. God is with us! At 3.05pm, the door bell rang and it was Papa. He had made it through the school day but that wasn’t all. He had also cemented his place on the school’s track team and would be representing the school in 100m as well as being the relay anchor. See how much difference a day can make. He did look very tired though so I pleaded with him to have his lunch and take a snooze. I also made him a glass of smoothie as additional refreshment.
Wednesday night was youth night for the boys. Danju wanted to go for it and so did Papa. Between you and me, I did not feel comfortable allowing Papa to attend – the cautious daddy not wanting to push his son’s recovery.
Sampi meanwhile had an art exhibition at school and I had to go take a look at my girl’s works. From Sampi’s art exhibition, she and I went over and picked the boys (yes Papa twisted my arm into allowing him go for youth).
Meanwhile I forgot to mention that because Papa was not in his elements on Tuesday he had missed Tuesday night’s football practice. I got an email on Thursday in the morning that an extra practice had been scheduled for Thursday night to further prep his Atom team (who meanwhile had been baptized Oakville Titan Renegades) for a scrimmage fixed for Saturday. If we had not missed the Tuesday practice or his position on the team was not key, I would have passed on the Thursday one so Papa could recover some more.
Anyway we went for the Thursday practice but left after about 70 minutes when he got tired. The upside was that he had shown his team he would battle with them on Saturday.
By the way, I sometimes wonder why football teams (not soccer please, so don’t ask me what I thought of the Chelsea versus Barcelona game and of the refereeing) have intimidating names – Renegades, Bengals( Cincinnati) , Buccaneers (Tampa), Chargers (San Diego), Packers (Green Bay), Raiders (Oakland) etc. You can leave a comment on this blog if you have an opinion.
Today was Talent Day show at Papa’s school and tomorrow is the scrimmage I touched on earlier. Wish us well will you?
Good night now and keep your eyes open for more …

No comments:

Post a Comment